%# vim: set syntax=mason:
<%method title>MSF Intranet - Computer Policies%method>
<& SELF:title &>
- Aenoch Lynn is in charge of the computers.
- Install no software on Facility computers without talking with Aenoch first.
- Absolutely no web browsing or reading email on instrument computers. If you are caught doing this you may be banned from using the Facility computers.
- On Windows 2000 computers, please use Firefox instead of Internet Explorer.
- MSF Domain
- You must get your own domain login in order to use Facility Windows computers. Please see Aenoch.
- All Facility computer are part of a Windows domain (not an Active Directory).
- Aenoch is in charge of all Facility computers attached to the network. Please contact him if you have a problem with a computer.
- Windows Vista and 7 computers cannot join the Facility domain at this time.
- File server: \\klimt\
Mass spectrometry data are stored in this directory. Both raw and peaklist files can be found here. The peaklists of the QStar instruments are generated automatically, but the files for the LTQ instruments need to be done manually. Please see Shenheng or Aenoch for help. Files can be written by people with special privileges. If you need to copy files into this directory, contact Shenheng, Robert, Dave, or Aenoch.
Computer related files are stored here. Please ask Aenoch for help if you want to install software on your computer.
Files put in here can be read by anyone, so you can use this to share files with others.
Temporary file storage of files. Old files may be deleted without warning. There is currently no automatic deleting of files, but it may be implemented if we run out of space.
Files for Protein Prospector are stored here. Most people will not need to use any of these files.
Each person has their own private directory on the server. When you log into a Facility computer this directory is mapped to the Z: drive. Only you can read and write to this directory. Please log your self out of Facility computers when you are done so others don't have access to your files.
- Print server
- \\msfpdc\GH-S132Laser - Black and white laser printer in the mass spec lab.
- \\msfpdc\GH-N472Laser - Black and white laser printer just outside of the main offices.
- \\msfpdc\GH-N472Color - Color laser printer just outside of the main offices.
- \\msfpdc\GH-N472aColor - Color laser printer inside the main offices.
- \\msfpdc\BH309Laser - Black and white laser printer in the wet lab.
- Personal laptops can be part of the domain. Please see Aenoch if you wish to have your laptop added to the domain. Laptops not part of the domain can still access Facility resources.
- Change your WINS server to 22.214.171.124
- When you access domain servers, you will need to login as msf\<your login>
- If you wish to use the print server, you first need to authenticate with the print server. Click on "Start -> Run... -> \\msfpdc\" and login. Double-click on the printer you wish to use to install the printer on your laptop. After a reboot you will have to re-authenicate to have access to the printer again.
- You are strongly urged to backup your own laptop. You can backup your laptop to the klimt file server in your own private directory. Windows users can use SyncBack from 2BrightSparks. A free version is available.
- Facilty Computers
- File server
- Domain controller, print server
- Web server
- Files can be put on the web server for others to download in the "transfer" directory.
- Zip your files together, put the archive on klimt, and email Aenoch.
- Internal Protein Prospector server
- http://sargent.ucsf.edu/prospector/ only from UCSF.
- http://sargent.ucsf.edu:18181/prospector/ accessible from outside of UCSF. Do not give this address out to anyone.
- Each user needs a separate login for the Prospector server. You can create your own at http://sargent.ucsf.edu/prospector/cgi-bin/msform.cgi?form=add_user At this point, there is no way to change your password or information. Please contact Aenoch if you need help.
- sargent is a Windows server with dual-CPUs and 4 GB of RAM.
- Searches submitted to sargent are submitted to a search queue and picked up by linux compute nodes which do the actual search. Each linux node is a dual-socket, quad-core (total of 8 cores) computer with 16 GB of RAM.
- Sequence databases are duplicated on each node and on sargent. If you have a custom database you need installed on sargent, please see Aenoch.
- Custom user defined modifications need to be installed by Aenoch. Speak with Robert Chalkley first to make sure you get the name correct.
- Prospector's files are stored on klimt in \\klimt\prospector\ but the files are not intended to be read by the user.
- Development Prospector Server
- External Prospector Server
- Publically accessible Protein Prosector server. Open to anyone (spread the word!).
- This server supports quantitation on Analyst and Xcalibur files.
- The public server is not connected with the Facility's internal data repository.
- To upload files to this server use the "Batch-Tag Web" utility.
- Linux web server (4 GB RAM, dual-processors), Windows server for quantitation (4 GB RAM, dual-processors), two linux compute nodes (16 GB RAM, 8-cores)
- Instrument computers
- Data from instrument computers are automatically copied into the data repository on klimt every hour. After 30 days they are deleted from the instrument computers.
- The files off the QStars are automatically processed to mgf peaklists. The LTQ files need to be processed manually. See Shenheng Guan or Aenoch for help.
- Accessible only through Windows networking
- Mascot Distiller
- The Facillity has two licenses for the Distiller. One is used by Aenoch for batch processing.
- The computer ansel in S132, next to the printer, is available for walkup use.
- Shenhen Guan has written a program to extract peaklists from Xcalibur/LTQ files. Please talk with him if you want to run the program.
- Aenoch can also run the program and copy the peaklist files to klimt.
- If you wish to use the raw data in your searches, either to view the profile data or to do quantitation, the RAW file names need to match the peaklist names. Send Aenoch a list of the files you need re-named before you create your Prospector project.
- Laptop Theft
- There have been laptop thefts at Mission Bay.
- Laptop locks are strongly recommended. Please see Aenoch if you don't have one of your own.
- Please lock your valuables in your desk.
- Email accounts
- The Facility uses email accounts from CGL. Some people can also get accounts on the campus mail server.
- The Facility maintains a web interface to the CGL email: http://msf.ucsf.edu/wmail
- See Aenoch if you need an account.
- Email accounts of people that have left the lab are purged periodically, but not necessarily immediately.
- The Facility has several email lists. The main ones are MSF, MSF_CORE, and MSF_MEETINGS. Talk with Aenoch to get on or off these lists. Only members of the lists can post messages and only from the email addresses from which they are subscribed.